Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Juarez: The Real Comeback Kid


So yes, I got of to a rocky comeback start. So, here is a post that is worth coming back for. I am now the proud of of the above turtle whose name is Juarez. Juarez is an illegal immigrant from Mexico. He was smuggled over in a Pepsi cup, a water bottle, a hand and a pocket by my dearest friend Marcela who was hanging out/visiting some relatives in Guadalajara. She knew that I had always wanted a turtle and she saw some at a market and decided it was a good idea to get me one. I was so shocked to see a turtle when she came home. My very own turtle, what a dream come true.

I've spent the last month accumulating knowledge and supplies and think I have a pretty good handle on the situation. I thought he was sick yesterday, but it turns out the UVB lamp was too close and it was causing inflammation of the eyes. I was scared sick that he was going to die or something. I am still scared sick that he will die. Apparently the Red Ear Slider variety of turtle is particularly finicky when it comes to captive survival. But so far he seems ok and is even shedding which is a good sign of growth. He is so handsome and terribly fun to watch swim around. His little legs propelling him through the water is just about the most adorable thing in the world.

You'll notice that the picture is of Juarez's hind quarters. This is because he is one jumpy fellow. When I enter my room he will jump off of his basking rock and swim to "safety" (little does he know that I can grab him at any time. Mwa ha ha). So I snuck up on him while he was stretching out his hind quarters. Cute.

So that is that. I am through with this post and I hope it was enjoyable in all its shortness. I will return with more news from afar and beyond.

No comments: