Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mistaken Identity


There are a couple names that I consistently get mistaken for; George and Tim. George is understandable to some degree. While not phonetically dissimilar, if you rearrange the letters you get Grego which is pretty damn near close to Greg, AND if add another r and a y you get yourself Gregory which is my full given Christian FBI record Witness Relocation Program name. This I can live with to some extent, other than the fact that I don't think I am a George in any way and I always get brief twinges and premonitions of what my life would have been like if I were a George.

This brings us to Tim. That one is a mystery, but I kid you not, Tim is probably the most often misspoken name for me. I don't know what it is. Is there a vast pool of redheads out there that are named Tim and are very sociable and therefore have a far reaching fan base who moves all over the country and invariably a few from said fan base end up in SLC and end up meeting me because they themselves are very sociable and are often in social party situations which I have found myself being dragged to on an ever increasing scale and they see me and are introduced and hear my name but as psychology goes they forget it the second they turn their head and so through association with this incredibly popular and influential and life changing Tim they project the Tim personality on me and assume my name is Tim just like their good friend back home or is Tim just some social construction default for people of my likeness? I figure people don't remember my name because I am particularly unremarkable in most aspects of the group socializing point scale so I don't mind being forgotten, but guessing at my name and then consistently coming up with George or Tim is just not right. I would rather they just say "what was your name again?" just so I don't have to have visions of what life would be like as Tim or George.

Toblogs Photo is one of the said parties that I have been increasingly dragged to, not that this is a bad thing really.

1 comment:

napalmbrain said...

That was an awesome post, Tim. Just so long as no one calls you Timmy. Or even Timothy, Not good names.