Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year?


It was incredibly wonderful to hang with friends this holiday who had vanished at the nadir of the summer. Spending entire days with good friends, forgetting that you have 45 children's books worth of audio to cut and clean, that you need to figure out how to have all computers on the network connect to the SQL Server, is something that everyone should do, and should be done more often by me. As I've said perhaps too many times words can never explain my true feelings but I try anyway. The feeling of spending New Year's day, eating, chatting and hangin' was a complete escape. I am ashamed to admit even when I am off enjoying the mountains, a camping trip, a nice drive, there is a constant looming spice in the back of my neck that it poking my taste buds telling me "You have things waiting for you sucka." On New Year's, the spice was abated by the plain yogurt of good friends. I was in the moment, relaxed, and unhindered. This is what friends are meant for I imagine. They are there to take you out of you and expose you to something new, share an insight into politics you may not have recognized, or bug the hell out of you so you can realize they are close enough to you that they can bug the hell out of you. Any time you get a new perspective, a new kick, you become a bit more robust, like getting extra additions to your transformers so they can now turn into a helicopter. So cheers to friends that have lasted the tests of time and distance, to friends who are new and germinating, to friends lost for a period and regained.

The photo is of a sculpture from an art gallery in SLC. The sculptor is Rober Taplin, and the exhibit is called the five planets, but there are no planets. This is one of 5 life size to double life size sculptures of a man. One is opaque the other, is translucent fiber glass lit from the inside. The sculptures were hanging from the ceiling in an otherwise dark room. It is incredible to walk in there and see orange dots in the distance, suspended. I recommend you click the pic and view the larger version. Later.

1 comment:

napalmbrain said...

So was I the one that bugged the hell out of you or the one that shared a new political insight?
ps- love the sculpture.