Saturday, January 20, 2007

Hilarity of the Day


I had two experiences that caused much glee in me the other day.

1. I caught the good ol' faithful number 52 UTA bus to head home from work. I sat in the very back and made myself comfortable for the 20 minute bus ride. Just as I started to wiggle into the comfort nook the bus started bouncing up and down quite violently. I thought we were going over some rough construction repairs or something. Then the greatest bus ride of my life transpired. The bus started oscillating at about 4Hz then I was launched from my seat. I was in the air a good couple of inches. I was on a bizarre roller coaster. I almost hollered out with glee but I didn't want to attract attention to my self. I just bounced with a huge smile on my face, sucking away laughter. One lady a couple of seats in front of me was reading a book and at one of these giant bumps she bounced pretty good, not as good as the back, but her book flew out of her hand and I had to duck down to laugh it out. She looked so displeased with the situation. Then we made it to 15th East which is riddled with speed bumps. That's right, this is where I had my record breaker. I bounced so high I almost stood up. Must have spaced the seat 6 to 8 inches. I will always be a firm believer in the importance of public transportation.

2. While reading "The Disappointment" by Aphra Behn, there is a reference to Priapus. I do not know who or what Priapus is, but thank goodness for glosses. I look down to number 5 and read this: "Phallus. The ancient god Priapus is always pictured with an outstanding erection." I was in the Union, (how come ours isn't called "The Quad") and I laughed. Just picture it, "Outstanding work Priapus, really top notch erection you got going on there."
"Oh thank you sir. I've been working hard on it."
Oh, I'm having a hard time typing. I love literary critics.

Topost's picture is at Buffalo Bill's grave/memorial just outside Denver, CO. Sam on the left, me on the right.

1 comment:

napalmbrain said...

What the...you went to Denver?