Monday, February 12, 2007

Retirement Time


Let me begin by apologizing for the novella length posts lately. I haven't been as sharp on it with posting and I guess that makes me a little more long winded than usual.

So the meat: I started volunteering at the Bike Collective, a non profit community bike shop and bike ed place. I go there Mondays from 5 to 9. I also paid work before that from 1 to 5. Problem. Now it is 1 to 4:30. Still a problem. I get very hungry around the 4:30 to 5 range. This problem is easily solved. There is a Taco Time right on the way to the collective. So I high tail it out of Waterford and head to Taco Time. I order a veggie burrito and a small Dr. Pepper. I dump the DP into a nalgene, eat as much of the burrito as I can in 15 minutes, then pack up the remains and head out. That is secondary to the post actually; my long windedness prevails. The main point is that there are an inordinate amount of 65+ singles and couples frequenting Taco Time. Today we're talkin 5 white haired couples, and 3 singles. That is just in the dining area, who knows how many I missed in the drive through (as I was walking out I saw a lovely old woman in her Buick lean far out the window and speak in the most perfect granny voice you can think of, "I'll have the Casita Burrito"). Most of the couples have a little routine too. One will get all of the fixins from the salsa bar while the other fills the drinks. Some rummage through the large stack of complimentary national newspapers (I swear these are there to cater to the geriatric patrons) and sit and read the national news as they eat their Barbacoa enchiladas. I hope I have a cool spot like Taco Time to go to when I am retired and hungry.

p.s. My original post title was Geriatric Tacos until I seriously grossed myself out. Snicker Snicker.

Photo: Me during lunch on the Yurt trip.

No comments: